Brittany Estates is an active 55+ Resident Owned community located on Lake Griffin (one of the chain of five lakes) in Leesburg, Florida.
1. What is the size of your community, i.e., number of shareholders with membership certificates?
Brittany Estates became a Cooperative in 1997, there are 212 units (163 Shareholders and 49 renters)
a. Share prices range from $35,530 to $38,610 depending on the location
b. Shareholders pay $157 per month maintenance fee
c. Renters pay $376 to $390 per month rent on the lot, depending on the location.
2. What services are included with the maintenance fee?
Water, Sewer, Trash pick-up, and Mowing. Water is provided by the well system, sewer by the sewer systems, trash is picked up at each driveway twice per week. Trimming, weed control maintenance, etc. are the resident’s responsibility.
3. Does your community employ its own manger and maintenance staff or a management company and maintenance company?
There is a full-time licensed Community Association Manager and 2 maintenance employees.
4. What amenities are available?
Clubhouse, shuffleboard, horseshoes, fishing pier, a 50-slip marina, private boat ramp, pool (heated 365 days per year if at least 70 degrees outside), twice a week pick-up, a well and a sewer treatment plant, and laundry facility.
5. Are there activities?
There is a Social Club that organizes and sponsors the events, dances, bingo, socials, etc. There are various card games and billiard activities scheduled throughout the year. An activities calendar is included in the monthly newsletters.
6. Is there a restriction on the number of residents that can reside in a unit?
Maximum two residents, one 55+ and older, second 45 or older. A caregiver may be approved by the board, with application and background check.
7. How many units are occupied year-round.
Approximately 35% of the units are occupied year-round.
8. Is a background check (financial/criminal) required for new owners and renters?
Yes, there us a $100 non-refundable fee for the application and background check process.
9. Can units be sub-leased and if so, is there a restriction on the number of times per season or minimum length of stay?
Yes, shareholders may do long term rentals. However, this is discouraged we prefer our owners to occupy their homes. Non-shareholders may rent for a maximum of 6 months in a calendar year. All renters must go through the background check process and be vetted for residency in the community.
10. Are guests permitted and if so, is there a restriction on the number of guest or their length of stay?
Guest must register at the office within 24 hours of arrival in the community. Maximum 30 days per guest per year or board approval is necessary (i.e., caregiver).
11. Are pets permitted and if so, is there any restrictions (i.e., size/breed)?
One pet 25 lbs. or less and must be kept on a leash. All breeds are permitted with approval of the board.
12. How many board members are there?
There are nine (9) board members who each serve a two (2) year term. Meetings are typically monthly (October – April) on the third Wednesday of the month, and the Annual Membership meeting is in January.
13. Contact information:
Brittany Estates R.O. Association
1000 Mark Road
Leesburg, FL 34748